Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Personal and Professional Musings...

Well. "C" is for "caliente" and "f" is for "frio". When showering for the first time in a Spanish speaking country, this is an important consideration. Especially when hostels i usually stay in when in CA only have ONE knob ... COLD. Needless to say, i was able to squeeze in an early a.m. yoga session that first morning, if only the camel pose in the shower. Personally, I am so thankful for the support of Zack, and all my family and friends, and also my job/school for supporting this experience as well. Quito is a HUGE city, and I think I can smell diesel in my sleep from the "ecovia". BUT, it is interesting here because Correa has instituted some pretty neat things...for example, cars with license plates ending in certain letters are prohibited from driving one day a week, and liquor or beer isnt sold after 4pm on sundays, and 10pm during the week. Makes for an interesting contrast, I think there would be a mass uprising at Triple Shot in Ye Old Fishtown if the Ecuadorian liquor law was enforced in PA *although PA's laws certainly could use a revision of their own!*.

Professionally, I am amazed that people put their faith or trust in this group of American school and clinical psychologists & psychs in training. They are so appreciative of ANY help, recommendations, interventions, etc. for their students and children, no matter what language or level of fluency you have in that language. I have growing confidence in my abilities to conduct semi structured interviews, and even admin the Spanish ABAS or similar! That has been this week, next week I work directly with the kids on our "caseload", and then the following week provide feedback and recommendations to the parents and teachers, in addition to a presentation on a topic that teachers in the school feel useful .... classroom management, behavioral interventions, etc., etc.. I am thinking (collectively with my group of 3 others at the site) to do part of it on mindfulness for children in their school. A bubble blowing activity, where worries are "burst" or similar. Who knows, and everything changes from minute to minute anyway. Music is a universal commonality, though, and I know will be useful. So will candy, in small amounts, of course. This trip has redefined my concept of "contextual fit". If there are no crayons, there is no coloring.

well...since i drafted this on 7/7 and AM JUST NOW getting around to publishing, stay tuned!!...

No comments:

Post a Comment